Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Good news on BRCA 1 & 2

I called my doctor today to find out whether the results of my blood test are available yet.

She said it was negative for the BRCA 1 and 2 genes.  

That means that I don't need to have a mastectomy or double mastectomy.  Hooray!

Instead I will be starting radiation on June 30, five days a week for 4-6 weeks.

On June 23 I will do the prep for radiation, including getting four dots tattooed on the precise area where the x-rays will be aimed.  That will enable the technicians to direct the radiation exactly to the right spot each day.

When she heard about the tattoo, Roz teased me: "Wow, Mom, you're finally getting one!"  (I was not too happy when she acquired a rose tattoo and then a butterfly as a teenager.)

I'm so grateful that she and her sisters now don't have to worry about having the breast cancer genes, at least not from me!


No comments:

Post a Comment