Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Biopsy

It didn't hurt much.  

The main thing I remember is the vocabulary the doctor used:

"shoot into"

"fire at"

"oncologist"

This was all happening right above my heart.  I wanted to say, "Don't shoot too deep there."

Afterward Dr. Iyengar popped a little marker into the breast to show where the mass is.

I felt like a dog being provided with an ID chip.

When the technician did a post-biopsy mammogram, she said another somewhat alarming word:
"surgery."


"The marker will locate the mass if you need surgery."

Hmmm.  Possible surgery ahead?  Probable?

By the time I got home, I had decided to be open about having a biopsy for possible breast cancer.  One small thing I can do for all women--take the fearful thing and bring it into the open, look at it.

I posted the following note on Facebook:

Words overheard this morning during a biopsy taking place right over my heart: "shoot into," "fire at," "lesion," "surgeon," "retro mammarius space." Most biopsies turn out negative for cancer... here's hoping! Also a 1/8" marker implanted--just like my dog's ID chip.

No comments:

Post a Comment