Friday, April 25, 2014

The News

"You have invasive ductal carcinoma," Dr. Iyengar said.

We were sitting face-to-face in a tiny room.  Jose, the office assistant, was present for some reason--to protect the doctor if I went crazy?  To restrain me if needed?  To pick me up if I fainted?

"We can say it's stage 1," she added.

I was so grateful that it wasn't more advanced.  

She explained that I needed to call my OB-GYN, Allison Leong, and get referrals to a surgeon and oncologist.  

I also needed to schedule an MRI.  

"Do you want it next week? Or earlier?"

Within a few minutes I was walking into the next room to have the MRI.

Into the belly of the great white whale--it was a Jonah experience.  

By 11:35 am I was out on the street again.

I sat in the car and called John, then my daughters, none of whom was available.  I left messages: "Call me."  I called my brother Bill and got a 40-minute lecture "Introduction to Breast Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment."

No comments:

Post a Comment