Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sleepy Day

I never got out of the house today, not even to check on my new vegetable garden.

I slept until nearly noon because I napped yesterday evening from 7 to 9 pm and then stayed up until the wee hours.  

At about 2 am I wondered why my right underarm hurt as much as the left one, where the lymph node had been removed.  Upon investigation I realized that the surgical vest has straps that can be lengthened.  They were still at the shortest position though I have a long torso.  I loosened them and felt a lot better on the right side.  

Yesterday was pain-free, but today my left underarm did ache as if it had been cut open, which it had.  Cold packs helped; pain pills did not seem warranted.  The small breast incision did not hurt.

I just wished the surgical vest had come with instructions: 

  • Wear for the first 24 hours?  
  • Wear 24/7 until my post-op appointment?  
  • Wash, dry, and wear again if desired?

With the still-tight underarms it was a strait jacket, the most uncomfortable part of the WLE experience.   

Breakfast in bed at 1 pm was a treat--grits with cheese and bacon chunks from Ellen.  What a comfort food!

Reading every inch in the LAT and NYT about California Chrome at the Preakness was the best part of the day.

I spent a few hours at the computer, making a first post-op appearance on Facebook and in the EEWC-CFT community group as well as checking my email, that first duty of every 21st-century citizen.

Then I talked to my cousin Becky on the phone, slept a a few more hours, and took my first bath since Friday.

Becky was a bridesmaid at my wedding in 1972 and is also the survivor of thyroid cancer in her late 20s.  She's inspiring!





No comments:

Post a Comment